Table of Contents
- 1 Are you looking for the best beginner drones for your first time flying?
- 2 Benefits of owning a Drone
- 3 Types of Drones
- 4 Features to Consider
- 5 Top 10 Best Beginner Drones
- 5.1 DJI Mavic Air 2
- 5.2 Holy Stone HS270
- 5.3 DJI Mini 2
- 5.4 DJI Mavic Mini
- 5.5 Contixo F22
- 5.6 Holy Stone HS110G
- 5.7 Potensic D88
- 5.8 Eachine EX4
- 5.9 Potensic A30W
- 5.10 Holy Stone HS700
- 6 Safety Tips
- 7 Conclusion
Are you looking for the best beginner drones for your first time flying?
Table of Contents
Then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll be giving you an overview of the top 10 best beginner drones that are currently on the market and why they make the perfect choice for new pilots.
We’ll go over everything from speed and size to flight time and more, so you can find the best drone for your needs. Read on to learn more about the best beginner drones and start flying high!
Before a list of 10 best beginner drones to start flying lets talk about drones in general.
The list of 10 best beginner drones is on the left site in Table of Contents or you can jump to list here.
Definition of drones
A drone is a type of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that is either controlled by a remote on the ground or programmed to fly autonomously.
The purpose of drones varies greatly.
While some are used primarily for recreational purposes, others are employed for military or industrial applications.
Drones are most widely known for their use in aerial photography, thanks to their ability to capture stunning footage from heights that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to access.
The fast-growing drone industry has resulted in smaller, more accessible drones becoming available to the general public.
Benefits of owning a Drone
Owning a drone can be a great experience. There are many benefits to having a drone, including the ability to take stunning aerial photos, videos, and other content.
Drones can also help in recreation activities like racing, obstacle courses, and they can even be used as a relaxing way to explore your surroundings.
They can also be used for capturing unique perspectives from high up on mountains or on beaches. Additionally, drones are an excellent tool for surveying to inspect infrastructure or for observations in nature.
Drones are extremely versatile and can be used for many tasks, making them an attractive piece of technology to own.
Drones have opened possibilities for unique photographs and professional photographers are taking notice. Utilizing drone photography, photographers can capture awe-inspiring images from perspectives previously unattainable.
For this reason, investing in a high-quality beginner drone is an excellent choice for the professional photographer wanting to explore unique perspectives for their creative projects.
With a wide selection of drones to choose from, photographers need to research which drone offers the specifications they need for the types of images they want to capture. The top 10 best beginner drones offer the features and quality necessary to take on any professional photography project.
With these drones, exploration is infinite and photographers can capture stunning aerial images that will take their portfolio to the next level.
Improved Spatial Awareness
Drone flying can improve spatial awareness skills. Spatial awareness, the ability to perceive how objects are positionally related to your body, is an essential skill for successful drone flying.
Beginner drones come with features such as obstacle detection and avoidance technology, which allow them to avoid obstacles in their flight path to help users steer clear of potential danger.
With the latest technology, drones are equipped with high-definition cameras that feed live images back to the user, giving them visual confirmation and making it easier to judge distances and sizes.
As users become more experienced, they will be able to make quick decisions faster, which can result in smoother, more instinctive flying.
Beginner drones are an excellent tool for honing spatial awareness skills, and can give users the confidence they need to branch out into more complicated and potentially risky flying.
Feeling of Accomplishment
When it comes to taking up a new hobby, nothing tastes quite as sweet as the feeling of accomplishment. Drone flying is no exception! Whether you opt for the super fun and rewarding experience of piloting a drone, or you just purchase one and practice flying it in the comfort of your own home, there is something really exciting about seeing your drone do what you command it to do.
Not only does the sense of accomplishment come from the thrill of a successful flight, but also from the fact that you have pushed yourself out of your comfort zone and tried something new. The feeling of a successful takeoff and successful completion of a task can bring immense satisfaction to the pilot and can be an incredibly rewarding experience. So what are you waiting for?
Take to the sky and enjoy the immense feeling of accomplishment from controlling your very first drone!
Types of Drones
The type of drone you choose to fly will depend on your experience level and the type of mission you’re planning. There are several types of drones available to beginners, each with its own features and advantages.
RC multi-rotor drones, such as quadcopters and hexacopters, are the most popular type of beginner drones. They’re easy to learn how to fly and are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to suit different needs and budgets.
Fixed-wing drones, such as planes and gliders, offer more stability, range, and speed than multi-rotor drones, but require more skill and precision to operate.
For more specialized missions, mini-drones are great for tight spaces, and surveillance drones have longer ranges and better sensors for carrying out surveillance operations. Whichever type of drone you choose, make sure to make safety your top priority!
Features to Consider
When shopping around for a beginner drone, there are a few key features to consider. Battery life and flight time are two of the most important features to examine. Make sure the battery life and flight time are sufficient for your needs.
A drone with a long flight time will let you explore the skies for longer periods of time. Additionally, you should consider the affordability of the drone you’re looking at.
You don’t want to spend a fortune on a beginner drone. Look for a drone that has an affordable price but still has all the features that you’re looking for.
Another important feature to consider is the type of drone. There are many different types of drones out there, so make sure you find the right one for you. Additionally, look at the difficulty level of the drone. If you’re just starting out, you’ll want to look for a drone that is easier to fly and won’t overwhelm you. Finally, you’ll want to consider the camera quality.
If you plan on taking pictures or videos with your drone, you’ll want to make sure the camera quality is good. With all these features in mind, you’ll be sure to find the perfect beginner drone for you!
When searching for the right drone, it’s important to prioritize price, as it is typically the deciding factor in your ultimate buying decision. Beginner drones for hobbyists or recreational use can range from $50 to $1000+, depending on which features you prioritize and the brand you purchase.
Typically, drones for beginners will range from an average of $100 to $300, as they include some of the basic features necessary for a successful flight. Beginner drones in this price range are usually equipped with basic DIY assembly instructions, camera functionality, long-term battery life, and simple maneuverability options.
Ultimately, it’s up to personal preference and budgeting to decide which drone is best for you, but when in doubt, it’s best to stick to the more moderately priced options.
When it comes to the top 10 beginner drones, flight time is an important factor. Longer flight time means more fun and more practice time.
Depending on which drone you’re looking at, you can expect anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes of flight time on a single charge. Some of the best drones on the market today have multiple batteries, so you can fly for an hour or more without requiring any recharge.
Having a drone with multiple batteries is a great way to extend the amount of fun you can have as you learn to fly.
Finding a drone that has the right balance of performance and cost is always a top priority for those just getting started. Beginner drones are typically outfitted with features such as auto-stabilizers and pre-programmed flight missions designed to improve pilots skills.
When considering performance look for drones that have a good combination of speed, flight time, and range. Will you be flying a drone indoors or outdoors?
Knowing what type of environment you’ll be flying in can help narrow down the type of drone you get as some models handle wind and weather better than others. If you’re looking for a powerful but affordable drone, we have you covered with our top 10 beginner drones.
Top 10 Best Beginner Drones
Let’s discover the world of drone flying with these top 10 best beginner drones that offer an excellent introduction to this exciting and rapidly evolving technology.
DJI Mavic Air 2
The DJI Mavic Air 2 is the latest drone from DJI, featuring a redesigned structure that is lighter and more affordable than previous models.
With a flight time of up to 35 minutes and a 10km range, this drone offers excellent performance and safety features, including obstacle sensors and geofencing.
The Mavic Air 2’s camera has a 12MP 1/2-inch Quad Bayer sensor, providing high-quality images and videos. While the drone faces competition from the Mavic Mini and Mavic 2 series, it offers better value for money, making it the best all-rounder for non-professionals.
Despite some video feed issues, the DJI Mavic Air 2 is the smartest drone to date and is an excellent choice for most users.
- Improved technology with drone and controller connected up to 10km.
- Video feed still stutters and locks momentarily.
- Fantastic range of shooting modes, including 8K Hyperlapses.
- Smartest drone to date, all aspects redesigned with usability in mind.
- Deficiencies in design and performance of original Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Pro addressed.
- The DJI Mavic Air 2 is a pleasure to fly and shoot with.
- TechRadar Verdict: Best drone for most people.
Holy Stone HS270
The Holy Stone HS270 drone is an affordable, versatile option for beginners and casual users. Its foldable design, solid build, and 2.7K camera make it a great value for the price.
The drone features GPS capabilities, smart flight modes, and easy-to-use app compatibility, making it enjoyable and user-friendly.
With its impressive speed, stability in windy conditions, and a flight time of 18 minutes, the HS270 is a worthy investment for those looking to explore the world of drones.
- Foldable drone with 2.7k camera
- GPS for better flight and hovering
- Flight time of around 18 minutes
- Smart flight modes and automatic return to home
- Suitable for beginners and affordable
- Solid build, can fly in windy conditions
- Bulky and weighs just under 600g
- Brushed motors and 7.4v 3500 mAh LiPo battery
- Micro SD card slot up to 32gb
- Simple remote controller with smartphone holder
- Transmission range of around 600 meters, FPV range of 400 meters
- Official app: HS GPS V1, available on Google Play and Apple App Store
DJI Mini 2
The DJI Mini 2 is a palm-sized drone ideal for beginners, offering 4K resolution, an easy-to-use controller, and a powerful DJI Fly app.
Its compact design and weight allow for easy transport and no registration in most countries. However, it lacks obstacle avoidance sensors and struggles in low-light conditions.
The controller features a 5,200mAh battery and simple controls, while the drone has a 12MP 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor and 30-minute flight time per charge.
Some alternatives include the Ryze Tello for honing flying skills, the DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 for better video quality but less portability, and the Autel Evo Nano+ for excellent low-light performance.
Overall, the DJI Mini 2 remains a top choice for novice drone users.
- Palm-sized drone with 4K resolution
- Perfect entry-level drone for beginners
- Lacks obstacle avoidance sensors
- Revamped controller for boosted experience
- DJI Fly app is simple to use with powerful features
- Rock-steady video in all but windiest conditions
- Usable zoom range drops as light drops
- Collapsible and convenient
- Available in two bundles, including Fly More Combo
- Improved features compared to original Mavic Mini
- Range of up to 10km and 150% better transmission than original
- Battery life of around 30 minutes on single charge
- Fly More pack includes three batteries for total flight time of 90 minutes
- 12MP 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor and can shoot up to 4K resolution at 30fps
- Best pocketable drone with 4K video capture, improved controller, boosted range, and ramped up wind resistance
- Great for novice drone users and does not require registration in most countries due to its weight
- Original Mavic Mini is a better value option with comparable footage at 2.7K resolution
- Upgrading from Mavic Mini to Mini 2 mainly benefits from improved controller
- Not recommended for night-time flying
DJI Mavic Mini
The DJI Mavic Mini is a beginner-friendly drone that offers excellent value for money. Weighing less than 250g, it features a smart, collapsible design and is easy to navigate.
With a 30-minute flight time, three-axis mechanical stabilization, and a hot-swappable microSD card slot, it is an ideal drone for beginners. The camera can shoot 2.7K video at 30fps or 1080p video at 60fps and captures 12MP images.
The Mavic Mini is considerably cheaper than the DJI Mini 2, making it a great option for those starting with drones. Although it lacks some advanced features, the Mavic Mini is a perfect entry-level drone for those looking to explore drone photography and videography.
- Beginner-friendly drone with 2.7K at 30fps or 1080p at 60fps
- Weighs less than 250g and lasts up to 30 minutes in the air
- Smart, collapsible design and incredibly stable
- Three-axis mechanical stabilization and a hot-swappable microSD card slot
- Better battery life than the Parrot Anafi
- Available in base package and Fly More Combo
- Base drone costs $399, while the Fly More Combo is $499
- Collapsible with a gray and dark gray color scheme
- 3-axis stabilized camera and a micro USB port for charging
- No obstacle avoidance sensors
The Contixo F22 RC Foldable Drone is a mid-size drone with impressive features, suitable for both beginners and experienced users.
It comes with a 1080p HD camera, GPS sensor, and map waypoint capabilities. The foldable design is sleek, durable, and easy to transport.
With auto take-off, auto-land, and return home functions, it is user-friendly and versatile. The package includes the drone, remote control, and storage case, offering great value for those looking to purchase a drone under $200.
Overall, the Contixo F22 provides a high-quality, enjoyable flying experience at a competitive price.
- Foldable and portable design, making it easy to carry in a small backpack or glove box.
- 1080p HD camera with hand gesture activation and the ability to follow and film the user.
- GPS sensor for creating waypoints and tracking the drone’s position.
- Up to 13-15 minutes of flight time per charge with the Intelligent Battery.
- Real-time video streaming to a connected smartphone.
- One-button launch, landing, and return-to-home functions.
- Point of Interest filming and circular rotation feature.
- Adjustable speed settings for various flying conditions.
- Robust construction with quality alloy metal and tough polycarbonate framework.
- Remote control distance of 1800 ft and streaming video distance of 800 ft max.
Holy Stone HS110G
The Holy Stone HS110G drone is an affordable and feature-rich option for beginners looking to enter the world of drone flying. Its built-in GPS, intelligent flight modes, and 1080P HD camera make it a popular choice.
Notable features include a stable flying experience, Follow Me Mode, Orbit Mode, and Customize Waypoint Mode. With a flight time of 13 minutes and a maximum remote control distance of 300 meters, the HS110G is a great value for its price point.
For those interested in exploring other options, consider checking out Eachine, Ruko, and Tomzon drones, as well as staying informed about the latest drone technology and Black Friday 2022 deals.
- Affordable camera drone with built-in GPS module, ideal for beginners.
- Package includes all necessary accessories for easy setup and use.
- 13-minute flight time and 180-minute charging time.
- 1080P HD camera for high-quality stills and videos.
- Live video transmission range of 492 feet and max control range of 984 feet.
- Built-in intelligent flight modes, including Follow Me, Orbit, and Customize Waypoint.
- Headless Mode and Altitude Hold features for easy flying experience.
- Sleek, small design with two landing gears for stability.
- Durable and user-friendly remote controller with built-in battery LED lights.
- Smartphone compatibility for real-time video streaming and advanced flight options.
The Potensic D88 Drone is a high-quality, affordable drone suitable for beginners and advanced users. It features a 2K camera with a 110-degree wide-angle lens, GPS, ultrasonic altitude hold, optical flow positioning, and a one-axis gimbal for stability.
With a transmission range of up to 984 feet, 20 minutes of flight time, and a foldable design, it offers excellent value for money.
The Potensic D88 Drone competes well with other popular drones in the market, providing a great option for those seeking impressive features at a reasonable price.
- 2K camera with 110-degree wide-angle lens for high-quality aerial footage
- GPS-enabled for performing tricks and stable flight
- 984 feet transmission range and 1,500-meter control radius in open areas
- Top speed of 50kph with stability for fast and smooth flights
- Ultrasonic altitude hold and optical flow positioning for precise hovering
- Foldable design and aluminum case for easy storage and portability
- 20-minute flight time with 3400mAh battery for extended aerial sessions
- Remote control and Potensic app control for user-friendly operation
- Wi-Fi streaming for real-time video on mobile devices
- Affordable sub-$300 price range with advanced features and quality build
The Eachine EX4 drone is a foldable, medium-sized drone with an HD camera and a 3-axis gimbal, priced at just over $200.
Its standout feature is its 1/3.2 CMOS sensor camera, capable of capturing 4K images and offering 50x digital zoom. The drone is built from durable plastic, has brushless motors, and weighs 430g. It has a flight time of 25 minutes and a control range of 1km.
With features such as automatic take-off and landing, return home button, and smart flight modes, the EX4 is ideal for beginners.
Although not a true 4K drone, its camera quality is still impressive, making it a great option for those starting in the drone world.
- Eachine EX4 is a medium-sized foldable drone with HD camera and 3-axis gimbal.
- It can shoot distortion-free videos and images with 1080p camera and 4K image capture.
- The drone has 3 smart flight modes, optical flow sensor, digital zoom, GPS, and automatic home return.
- It has a flight time of 25 minutes and 1km control range.
- The drone weighs around 430g and comes with a cool carry case.
- The structure is firm and built from highly-durable plastic with brushless motors.
- Each rotor arm has small extended legs that will help protect the camera when landing.
- The drone is powered by an 11.4 v 2400 mAh lipo battery that keeps its charge for longer.
- The remote controller has a smartphone attachment, LED lights, automatic take-off and landing button, and return home button.
- The controller works with a 5G enabled smartphone.
- The camera has a 1/3.2 CMOS sensor that can take images in 4K and comes with a 50* digital zoom function.
- Video recording is only in 1080p HD with video streaming quality of 720p@24fps.
- The transmission range for taking videos and images is around 1000 meters in good conditions.
- The camera is supported by a 3-axis gimbal that minimizes jello effect.
The Potensic A30W drone is a user-friendly and affordable option for both beginners and advanced pilots. Key features include a 720P HD camera, FPV system, altitude hold, and customizable flight routes. It is easy to fly, with one-button takeoff and landing, and is compatible with VR glasses for an immersive experience.
Pros of the A30W include its ease of use, high-quality footage, stability, durability, and propeller protection. However, it does have some cons, such as the lack of a microSD card, limited flying distance, and the absence of an auto-return feature.
Overall, the Potensic A30W is a solid choice for those looking for a budget-friendly and easy-to-use drone with good camera quality and flight features.
- High-quality 720P HD camera with a 2mp sensor
- 12MP camera on its four-speaker FPV system
- Lightweight and portable
- Can do 360Â° flips
- Altitude hold and make your flight routes features
- Gravity induction and three flight modes available
- Suitable for both beginners and advanced pilots
- Removable battery and comparable to higher-end models
Holy Stone HS700
The Holy Stone HS700 is an affordable and high-quality drone suitable for both hobbyists and professionals.
It features a 5G 1080p FHD camera, 20-minute flight time, user-friendly controller, and GPS-assisted flight with an automatic return feature.
Some drawbacks include a long battery charge time and vulnerability to wind and damage. However, its balance of affordability, quality, and user-friendly design make it a popular choice among drone enthusiasts.
- Camera: 5G 1080p FHD camera with advanced lens and 110-degree panoramic field of view
- Battery: 2800mAh battery with up to 20 minutes of flight time and 5-to-7 hours charge time
- Image storage and transmission: 8GB memory card with 5G transmission feature for clean and crisp images and video transmission
- Flight time and performance: Equipped with 1500KV brushless motor, capable of attaining a maximum speed of 25km/h in upwind flights and 60km/h in downwind flight, GPS and ‘Follow Me’ flight mode
- Controller: Responsive and user-friendly with LCD display screen
- Safety features: GPS-assisted flight, automatic return to take-off point once battery reaches critical level, automatic return to pilot if drone loses connection
When engaging in drone flying, it is crucial to prioritize safety to not only protect yourself but also to safeguard the wellbeing of others and the surrounding environment.
First and foremost, you should register your drone with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), as this is a legal requirement in the United States for drones weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.
Registering ensures that you are accountable and understand the responsibilities that come with operating a drone.
Secondly, it is essential to familiarize yourself with and adhere to local laws and regulations regarding drone usage, as these can vary significantly depending on your location.
This may include restrictions on where you can fly, the maximum altitude, and whether you need any specific permits.
Finally, always keep your drone within your line of sight while flying. This is not only a legal requirement in many places but is also a common-sense safety measure.
Maintaining visual contact with your drone helps you to better control it and avoid collisions or other accidents. By adhering to these guidelines, you can ensure a safe and enjoyable drone flying experience.
In conclusion, choosing the right drone for beginners can seem daunting but it doesn’t have to be. There are plenty of options available with features that cater to different needs. It’s just a matter of finding the best fit for you and your needs.
With the right drone, you’ll have plenty of time to learn how to fly and get creative with your videos and photos. If you’re serious about becoming an expert drone pilot, you’ll want to start your journey with any of the top 10 beginner drones listed in this article. Happy flying!
Considerations Before Buying
There are a few essential things to consider before buying a drone as a beginner, from cost and features to practice and safety regulations.
First and foremost, decide which features you must have and need in a drone, and how much you’re willing to spend to get one with those features.
Next, consider the space you’ll be flying in, the type of controls and camera you would like, and the size and weight of the drone. You should also take into account the cost of any accessories such as a carrying case or extra batteries you might need.
Finally, be sure to check the regulations in your area for recreational drone flight, as the laws may vary from state to state. Taking the time to research these topics before purchasing a drone will ensure that you make an informed decision about your purchase and become a safe and responsible drone pilot.